Canada has always been a top destination for immigrants looking to start a new life in a welcoming country. With its strong economy, excellent social services, and high living standards, it is no wonder that so many people worldwide choose to make Canada their home. And now Canada has introduced new Express Entry category-based selection rounds: an immigration opportunity for in-demand workers.
What is category-based selection under the Express Entry?
The Express Entry system was introduced in 2015, providing a fast-track route to permanent residency for skilled workers under one of the three federal immigration programs and several provincial programs. Recently, Canada has introduced a new category-based selection within the Express Entry system, which is aimed at making it even easier for in-demand workers to immigrate to Canada. This category-based selection is a significant addition to the current Express Entry draws, which select applicants based on their overall Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. The new system prioritizes applicants with work experience in specific occupations, which are currently in high demand in Canada, making them more likely to receive an invitation to apply for permanent residency.
What are the new selection categories?
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has recently announced that it will be placing a greater emphasis on French language proficiency and work experience in specific sectors when considering candidates for permanent residency. This initiative aims to address the ever-changing demands of the Canadian labour market to improve the country’s competitiveness in the global market.
The Government of Canada will prioritize candidates working in the following in-demand sectors:
- Healthcare (35 occupations): As the Canadian population ages, the demand for healthcare professionals continues to grow. IRCC actively seeks candidates with experience in this field.
- STEM Professions (24 occupations): Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics sectors are the future of employment and are crucial to innovation and technological advancement.
- Trades (10 occupations): Skilled tradespeople such as carpenters, plumbers, and contractors are always in high demand in Canada and essential to many businesses success.
- Transport (10 occupations): The transportation industry is integral to the Canadian economy and is responsible for moving goods and people across the country. IRCC seeks candidates with industry experience.
- Agriculture and Agri-food (3 occupations): The agriculture industry in Canada is one of the largest in the world. Candidates with experience in agriculture and agri-food are given more attention in future Express Entry draws.
How does Canada determine the immigration categories for the Express Entry system?
Canada chooses immigration categories based on various factors, including labour market information, projections, and input from partners such as provinces, territories, and stakeholders throughout the country. Categories are reported to Parliament annually, detailing why and how each category was chosen, instructions for establishing a category, and the number of invitations issued. The Express Entry Year-End Report also contains information on category-based selection. Categories are regularly monitored and assessed for necessary changes or adjustments to ensure an efficient, effective, and responsive immigration system that meets Canada’s needs and goals.
The new category-based selection system under Express Entry is a significant change for skilled workers
With the new category-based Express Entry selection system, candidates working in in-demand occupations will get more chances to be invited to immigrate to Canada since the new system prioritizes those with the skills and experience that are most needed in the Canadian labour market. Therefore, targeted candidates will have a higher chance to apply for permanent residency. As a result of this new system, Canada will be able to attract more skilled workers who can contribute to the country’s economy and society. However, this does not mean that general invitation rounds will not be held. Canada will also continue to run regular rounds of invitation based on the highest points among all candidates, combining regular rounds with category-based rounds.
Immigrate to Canada with Schindler Visa Services
Are you looking to start a new life in Canada? Look no further than Schindler Visa Services! Our licensed immigration consultants are here to guide you through the process every step of the way.
With Schindler Visa Services, you can trust that your immigration application will be handled with care and attention to detail. We understand the immigration process can be overwhelming, so we are committed to providing personalized service and support.
Our services include:
- Consultation on the best immigration program for you
- Assistance with completing your application forms
- Review of your documentation to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Guidance on preparing for your interview with Canadian immigration officials
At Schindler Visa Services, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your dream of immigrating to Canada.
Book your consultation today!