International students are often faced with the difficult decision of where to study abroad. There are many factors when deciding which place will be best for you. These decisions can seem overwhelming, but there is one place that will provide a perfect opportunity for international students to study – Ottawa! Located on the shores of the Ottawa River, it is a bilingual city with more than 15,000 international students from over 130 countries! There are so many reasons why studying here would be ideal – from beautiful downtown architecture to its location as a crossroads between Europe and America. This article will explore some of these reasons and hopefully provide an answer about why this might just be the right choice for you.
The location of Ottawa in Canada
Ottawa, Ontario is situated on the south bank of the Ottawa River in the eastern portion of Southern Ontario. The city is located in the exact geographic centre of Canada and it borders Gatineau, Quebec. The National Capital Region has a population exceeding 1.4 million thus making it one of the most populous regions in Canada, and it includes many other smaller cities, towns and rural municipalities located outside of Ottawa proper – Gloucester, Nepean, Vanier, Kanata and others.
Three best places for international students to study in Ottawa
The city of Ottawa is home to three educational institutions that score the highest rankings in the national charts. These are Carleton University, the University of Ottawa, and Algonquin College. All three are hosting thousands of international students who chose to study in Ottawa every year.
Founded in 1942, Carleton University is located in the beautiful area between the Rideau Canal and the Rideau River, south of downtown Ottawa. It offers over 100 undergraduate programs, plus nearly 45 graduate programs and more than 100 interdisciplinary programmes to its students. The university has an extensive list of extracurricular activities that include more than 200 student clubs with topics ranging from social issues to business management. Carleton University is home to about 31,000 students, including 27,000 undergraduate and 4,000 graduate students. Carleton University has always ranked in the national top 20 universities.
University of Ottawa
Founded in 1848, the OttawaU is the largest English-French bilingual university in the world. It is located in the heart of downtown Ottawa within walking distance from Parliament Hill and the Ottawa City Hall. With over 41,000 students enrolled, students come from over 141 countries and many different backgrounds. It includes 35,500 undergraduate and 6,500 graduate students. The University of Ottawa offers more than 200 graduate diplomas, certificates, majors or degrees in fields such as medicine, law, education, religion and social sciences.
Founded in 1967, Algonquin College is one of the largest colleges in Canada. There are about 50,000 students enrolled in the college, including 13,000 international students from over 100 countries. It offers roughly 90 full-time programs and 150 apprenticeship programmes. The college also provides roughly 8000 continuing education courses every year for adults over the age of 18. Algonquin College is located in Ottawa’s west end.
Why should International Students study in Ottawa?
Ottawa is one of the best choices for international students in Canada – not just because it offers high-quality educational opportunities but also because it provides a safe and fun environment to live and learn. There are many reasons why studying in Ottawa would be perfect for you:
- It’s conveniently located: Ottawa is only two hours drive from Montreal, four hours drive from Toronto, three hours flight from Boston and Washington, and roughly five hours away by plane from most major cities in Europe.
- It’s safe: Day or night, winter or summer, Ottawa is one of the safest cities in Canada. International students do not need to worry about safety when they are on campus because of extensive security measures put in place by the university administration. There are also many campus security teams that constantly monitor the area and neighbourhood for less than perfect situations.
- It’s fun: Ottawa is filled with beautiful sites and interesting attractions, including the world-famous Parliament Hill and some of Canada’s finest museums and galleries. There are also countless clubs and bars located in its downtown core to keep students busy at all times!
- It’s unique: Ottawa is unique because of its bilingualism. International students can easily immerse themselves in English or French, whether it’s for studying purposes, working opportunities or even socializing.
- It’s affordable: The cost of living in Ottawa is very affordable for international students. And the rent in Ottawa is way cheaper than in Toronto or Vancouver, so you can easily make ends meet.
- It’s welcoming: International students say they feel welcomed by Canadians and find themselves fitting right into the culture here. They never feel like outsiders because locals are opening and willing to help them if they need any assistance or directions around Ottawa.
How much money do I need to study in Ottawa?
The cost of living in Ottawa is lower than that in most other large cities across Canada. The following are some expenses you would incur if you were to study here:
- Tuition and Fees: $12,000-$27,000 depending on the program and courses
- University Residence: $7,000-$8,500 (but if you plan to rent an apartment, it could be around $12,000-15,000)
- Food and Groceries: $400-600 per month
- Books and Supplies: Around $1,000 per semester (e.g. roughly $120 for books, $100 for stationery supplies)
- Transportation Costs: Roughly $105-120 per month if you plan on using the O-Train and OC Transpo buses rather than a car
- Phone and Internet: Around $50 per month for internet, around $30 for the phone.
Schindler Visa Services helps international students to study in Ottawa
Schindler Visa Services is a full-service immigration firm founded by Oleg Schindler an Immigration Consultant from Ottawa with over 5 years of experience in helping international students who want to study in Canada. Want to know more about studying in Ottawa? Contact Schindler Visa Services today! We will help you to select the best program to study in Ottawa and assist you with obtaining a Canadian Study Permit.