Citizens of other countries may need a Canadian Visitor Visa to enter Canada temporarily. Foreign nationals who want to come to Canada as international students or workers, tourists or business visitors, need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa also known as TRV. At the same time, several countries are visa-exempt and their citizens don’t need a visa. Nevertheless, they will have to obtain an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to come to Canada by air.

Canadian Temporary Resident Visa

A Canadian Temporary Resident Visa is a document that allows a person to enter Canada for a limited period of time. A visa does not guarantee entry into Canada. Once the holder arrives at the Canadian border, immigration officers have the final decision to admit the traveller or not. If a foreigner from a visa-required country applies for a study permit or work permit, the application automatically includes an application for Temporary Resident Visa.

Application Process for Canadian Visitor Visa

Although applicants still can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa on paper by mail, in the vast majority of cases, applications are submitted online. Everyone is always looking for a fast and easy way to get a visa to Canada. The best way to get a visa to Canada is by applying for it online. Applying online also means your processing time will be much shorter.

Visitor Visa Vs. Tourist Visa Vs. Business Visa

In fact, there is no difference between a visitor visa and a tourist visa. Both of them are the same Temporary Resident Visa issued for different purposes, whether visiting friends or family or coming as a tourist. In some cases, the term business visa is used as well, if the purpose of the visit is business. However, TRV, including for the business purpose of the visit, does not authorize a foreigner to work or study in Canada. To do so, one needs a study permit or work permit.

Duration of Canadian Visa

In most cases, Canada issues a visa for a period of up to ten years or until the expiry date of your passport or travel document, whichever comes first. The border officers may allow entry to Canada for up to six months per one visit. However, if the purpose of the visit is a specific event or a short-term trip, the border officers can order any earlier departure date.

Multi-entry visa

The term multi-entry visa means the same as multiple entry visa. A multi-entry visa to Canada allows a person to enter and leave Canada many times during its period of validity. This visa is perfect for frequent travellers who wish to come again and again within the time frame given. In the past, Canada had issued single-entry visas, but in recent years, almost all visas are multi-entry. The most important thing is always to have a valid visa and not to overstay the length of your visit.

Extend Your Stay in Canada

In most cases, with a valid Temporary Resident Visa to Canada, you can stay in the country for six months. This time frame can be extended by applying for an extension of your status before the end of your authorized period. If the application to extend your stay is approved, the Immigration Department issues a Visitor Record.

Visitor Record and Changing Conditions of Your Stay

A visitor record is a document that confirms your status as a visitor to Canada and allows you to stay beyond the initial length of your visit. It is also important to remember that citizens of visa-exempt countries must also obtain a visitor record if they stay in Canada for more than six months.

It can take several weeks to several months to review an application for a visa extension or changing conditions of your stay in Canada (for example, from visitor to the worker), so it is important to apply for a visa extension before the departure date on the original visitor visa. Once you apply for the Visitor Record, you will remain in Canada legally under the so-called maintained status and will be able to legally reside in Canada pending an extension decision.

Status Restoration

If you have exceeded the duration of your stay in Canada on your visa, you are in Canada illegally. However, the Department of Immigration allows you to apply for a status restoration within 90 days after the status expires.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The eTA is a new entry requirement put in place by the Canadian Government on March 15, 2016. All citizens from visa-exempt countries intending to fly to or transit through Canada are required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Citizens of countries that require a TRV cannot apply for eTA at this time. The eTA is usually linked to your passport and is valid for up to five years or until the expiry of the passport.

Supervisa for Parents and Grandparents

Parents and Grandparents of Canadian permanent residents and citizens may apply for a supervisa to visit Canada. This visa is a convenient way to enable Parents and Grandparents of Canadians to visit them for an extended period of time. One visit can be as long as two years while the total duration of a supervisa is ten years or until the expiry of the passport.

To be eligible for a supervisa, Canadian children of foreign parents or grandparents should prove they can pay for their living expenses while they reside in Canada. In addition, you must possess a Canadian Health Insurance policy with no less than $100,000.00 coverage.

Reasons for Visa Refusal

Unfortunately, it can happen that your visa application is denied even if you follow all the requirements. If this occurs, most likely there are some reasons for which you will be refused a visa to Canada. Usually, however, reasons for refusal include:

  • Not enough money for the trip;
  • The possibility of not leaving Canada after your visit;
  • Did not provide full and genuine information about yourself;
  • Not enough ties to the homeland;
  • Unclear employment perspective at home.

If you are refused a visa, you may reapply. It is crucial to find out the reasons for refusals. We can apply for ATIP notes from the government to check the officer’s notes about the refusal. However, we strongly recommend consulting with us before the visa application, as we can identify the risks before you are refused. While preparing your application, we will proactively address the most popular reasons for refusal to increase your chances to get a Canadian Visitor Visa

Schindler Visa Services can help you to obtain a visa to Canada. We will handle all the paperwork and prepare the application along with all supporting documents smoothly and quickly!

Book a consultation about how to get a Canadian Visitor Visa with Oleg Schindler, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant!

How to book a consultation
1. Select the duration of your consultation
2. Indicate if you are in Canada
3. Click on the ‘Submit’ button
4. On the next screen, use the calendar.
5. Choose a convenient day
6. Choose a convenient time
7. Click on the ‘Confirm’ button
8. Enter your first name, last name and email address
9. Select the communication method: phone or Zoom
10. Select the language of the consultation
11. Enter your credit card billing information
12. Click on the ‘Schedule Event’ button

After booking the consultation, you will receive an email with the booking details and a link to Zoom if you have selected this option.